HAX | Boost
Launch bootcamp for hardware startups
HAX Boost is an 8-week bootcamp for hardware startups based in downtown San Francisco. Our program is the best-in-class hardware accelerator focused on launching B2C and B2B hardware startups.
When are you ready for HAX Boost?
- You have completed the design and manufacturing of your product
- You have successfully executed a crowd-funding campaign or raised seed investment
- You’re ready to build demand, establish a supply chain and drive sales
- At least two people from your team are willing to relocate to San Francisco for 8 weeks
What will I get?
- A crystal clear sales & distribution plan honed by world-class in-house mentors
- Dedicated time with the best marketing and growth-hacking experts
- Relationships with key customers (retail buyers for B2C cohorts, corporate decision-makers in our B2B cohorts)
- Unprecedented access to the Silicon Valley hardware community
- One year of full strategic support, inclusion in trade shows (including CES), and office space in San Francisco for up to 3 months
- A tight-knit network of over 150 HAX founders to share your successes with
We are currently reviewing applications for HAX BOOST. THE PROGRAM WILL BEGIN February 6th 2017
Applications for Boost V are due 1/17/2017.
How it Works
With the help of our full-time staff and extensive mentor network, you will go through 2 weeks of intensive sales, marketing, packaging and distribution training (Boost Camp) followed by 4 weeks of tactical execution and network building.
Each week, you’ll meet with advisors and top retail industry experts who will offer tailored feedback on your team’s evolving needs. As the world’s leading hardware accelerator, the HAX network is an unmatched resource for hardware founders.
During the program, you’ll have direct exposure to key decision makers, either at a trade-show, or in an excursion to the headquarters of our major retail partners.
HAX Boost Life
WE FOCUS ON BUILDING YOUR ACCESS TO KEY PARTNERS, SO THAT YOU GET YOUR PRODUCT TO MARKET FAST
What You Get
The main thing you’ll get from HAX is hands-on help, mentorship and the HAX network: advice, expertise and fire in your pants.
We are a fast-growing family of over 300 experienced entrepreneurs, industry experts and hackers. We have an extensive support team at your disposal, eager to help you overcome your manufacturing woes, improve your user experience, or figure out retail distribution. We’ve been there.
At the end of 42 days, you’ll have:
- A crystal clear sales & distribution plan
- New marketing channels and resources
- Relationships with key partners in distribution, retail and sales
- A tight-knit network of fellow Boost founders to share your successes with. Beyond the Boost family, we are a fast-growing network of over 300 experienced entrepreneurs, industry experts and hackers.
Our Selection Process
We know how to make things happen
You have a product on market, or about to hit the market.
You have early revenue, typically coming from a crowdfunding campaign or pre-orders.
You are looking to expand sales and increase margins.
QUESTIONS? WE HAVE ANSWERS
Who is behind that madness?
Blame Cyril Ebersweiler and Sean O’Sullivan for this.
How does HAX Boost work?
We recruit 10+ teams of 2 entrepreneurs for our 42-day program.
The teams go through a competitive application process and agree to locate themselves in San Francisco for the duration of the program. Successful applicants represent products we know will work in a retail and e-commerce environment with the right marketing, distribution, and retail relationships.
The first two weeks of the program are intense, tactical workshops designed to fine-tune your approach and provide you with all the right partners and assets, down to how you tell your story, your packaging, and your point-of-sale display. The final 4 weeks are time to put the rubber to the road; you’ll meet key industry partners and have a chance to pitch your product to the world’s leading retailers. Demo events will give you the chance to engage with customers in actual retail settings, and we end the program with an event designed to get you maximum media and VC exposure.
Where is the office??
We are located in the heart of San Francisco, near the Civic Center.
What can HAX Boost offer me?
We’ll help you boost your company and increase its chances of success. Specifically:
- Developing your channel strategy, and introducing you to the right partners.
- Helping you optimize your bill of materials, supply chain, and logistics.
- Familiarizing you with the basic tools and processes a sales organization needs.
- Connecting you with potential retailers, distributors, investors and strategic partners, as well as advisors and press.
- Introducing you to world-class mentors and alumni who have expertise in starting companies, developing innovative consumer products, and creatively marketing those products to millions of consumers. These will be some of the most valuable connections you’ll make as an entrepreneur.
What does the team look like?
The team is composed of 3 full time experts with over 50 years of combined manufacturing, sales and distribution experience. Cyril Ebersweiler is a venture partner with SOSV and Managing Director of HAX. Alan Clayton is a distribution specialist. Kate Whitcomb, the Program Director, is a retail veteran who has spent over $500m on products in her previous career as a retail buyer. We are augmented and supported by the global network of 100+ HAX companies, advisors, and mentors.
How much equity does HAX take?
Teams that accept an invitation to participate in HAX Boost give up 2% of stock in exchange for participating.
How do I apply for HAX Boost ?
The application for HAX Boost is available here.
When is the application deadline?
We are currently selecting the Spring 2016 batch and the deadline to apply is April 9th! It is advantageous to apply early in order to provide the HAX Boost team sufficient time to review your application. However, early applications do not receive higher priority or guarantee acceptance.
I already have funding, can I still apply?
Absolutely, it’s not at all uncommon and is actually encouraged (or better yet: revenue)! In your application, please specify the nature of your previous funding.
How do you choose which companies are accepted into HAX Boost ?
We will choose great founders who are in a position to scale up, and ideally solve real problems or create a meaningful change to our current technological state.
What kind of teams are you looking for?
Mainly teams that have a working prototype in the consumer hardware space, but also B2B or robotics. Things we like in no particular order:
- Consumer devices in all fields (health, fitness, travel…)
- Gadgets / Toys of a disruptive nature
- Consumer electronics with a software ecosystem
- B2B devices
- Media and Entertainment
- Robotics, Bionics
Do I need to have prior start-up experience?
No experience required. We just ask that you’re passionate about your idea and willing to work hard at making it a reality.
Do I need to be in the Valley during the program?
Two members of your team will need to be based in San Francisco throughout the duration of the program. It’s the best way for us to help you during this critical period of growth!
Does HAX Boost provide housing?
No. However, we will be able to offer advice on finding living arrangements and put you in touch with the other teams so that you might make arrangements together. Where you live is up to you.
How can we deal with visas?
While you will have to apply personally to get the requested temporary visas, we will provide invitation letters where necessary in order to make the process less painful.
What happens at the end of HAX Boost, am I on my own?
No. The HAX experience doesn’t stop at the end of this program. We will continue to help as you grow your startup. There’s a lot that has to come together to turn a great idea into a great company — resources, talent, marketing, sales, partnerships, etc. We’ll be there to help as you take those important next steps. Remember, we succeed only if you succeed.
How much access will we get to the mentors?
Different mentors will be coming in and out of the HAX Boost space at different times. Some won’t be physically present but will be available via email, phone, video chat, and forums. Some will interact once in a while, some every day. We’ll be working on setting up office hours so everyone can get some one-on-one time, and we hope to have workshops with mentors as they are available.
What’s expected of me during the HAX Boost?
We can’t tell you what to do. This is your company, after all. The only obligation is to be physically present and participate in all the sessions offered by the program.
You’re expected to work hard, and come out on the other side with something better than what you started with.